Carry On Essentials For Your Next Long Flight
Stepping inside of an airport fills me with joy.
No, it’s not because of the long lines and security checks. It’s because airports signify that adventure awaits me.
The airport is the first stop on a journey filled with exciting unknowns and memories waiting to be made.
But guess what else could be waiting for you? Fees. Luggage fees. That is unless you’re like the other savvy travelers who only tote carry on luggage.
I’m not about that fee life so when I go to the airport, I only bring carry on bags.
However, the last trip I took (to Boston), it was my first flight in a few years and prepared I was not.
Multiple times I groaned inwardly about the items I didn’t pack. In the big scheme of things, it wasn’t really a big deal.
But carrying these 22?
items with me would have made a world of difference in the quality of my airport experience.
So if you plan on flying, you’ll want to pick up these items before take-off.
Oh and I’ve made a free mini travel/packing printable that you can download from my resource library.
Just enter your email address below and the link and the password to access the library will be sent to your inbox.
7 Travel Carry On Essentials Every Girl Needs Before Her Next Flight
2-pack Lermende Clear Toiletry Bag TSA Approved Travel Carry On Airport Compliant Bag Luggage Pouch
Okay so yes you can use a Ziploc bag to carry your toiletries but but…let’s be honest.
This bag by Lermende is way cuter and it zips which means it is far less likely to burst open and spill foundation into your bag and onto your clothes.
I definitely plan on having a true TSA approved bag before my next flight. I feel like you can fit more in those bags too
Benefits of TSA Bags:
- TSA approved- meaning the airport won’t tell you your bag is too big and won’t hold you up in the security line
- Clear and easy to see through.
- Thick and durable
- It’s waterproof
- The zipper makes it more likely to stay closed over Ziploc bags which are prone to break open and leak
- Roomier than a quart-sized Ziploc (according to a reviewer)
- The reviewers overall were very pleased with their purchase
AmazonBasics Heathered Belltown Softside Luggage Spinner Suitcase
I cannot stress this enough.
The bag that you carry is so important.
On my trip to Boston, I just used the luggage that I had in my closet and boy did I regret it.
It had the old school (inline) wheels that make it so hard to turn and maneuver.
Meanwhile, I glared (not really…okay maybe a little) at the women with their cute, stylish, and FUNCTIONAL suitcases with 360 wheels.
They just glided through the airport while I struggled with the slightest of movements.
And then after we got back from Boston, my non-cute, non-stylish, non-functional suitcase decided its handle would no longer be of service to me.
At least the handle had the decency to break on the return trip (or put more accurately, baggage handlers didn’t break the handle until the return flight).
Luckily my mom McGuyvered it and looped a purse strap through the suitcase so I could drag it through the airport without too much shame.
I say all this to say that you want to make sure you have a sturdy and functional suitcase or you’ll be sorry.
Benefits of This Suitcase
- Lightweight at 5.73 pounds
- Will work with many carry on restrictions (please check this for the particular airline you will be using…they are all different)
- 2 pockets on the front of the suitcase make for better organization
- stylish colors
- Easy to use, sturdy handle
- 360 spinner wheels for easy rolling and use
- 3 year limited warranty
- Reviewers say that it is roomy, held up well on their trips (one reviewer took it to Hawaii), and it was lightweight. Some did say that the measurements were wrong though.
Did you know that you can take both a carry-on suitcase and a personal item on most airlines?
And the personal item can actually be quite large like this book bag.
I usually take a purse but you can fit a lot more into a bag like this, it can be better organized, and you can strap it to the handle of your carry on luggage so you’re not carrying it on your back or shoulder.
Pretty sweet, right.
Benefits Of This Bookbag
- a key fob hook is available
- pen pockets
- Tons of room and plenty of pockets to organize all of your stuff. It can hold a 15.6 inch laptop
- Comfortable to wear on your back due to adjustable straps and padded handles. This would be great if you are going backpacking in Europe.
- Has a strap which allows you to place it over the handles of your suitcase so you don’t have to carry it
- Has a hidden anti-theft pocket for valuable items
- includes a built in USB port and charging cable
- Made of water-resistant fabric
COWIN Noise Cancelling Headphones Bluetooth Headphones with Microphone
Does anyone else always seem to sit close to the crying baby on the plane?
As precious as babies are, you may not really want to hear them suffer through their first flight so that’s why you need noise-canceling headphones.
Even if you’re not next to the crying baby you still may not want to hear all of the commotion that can go on during a plane ride.
If you want a chance at falling asleep then headphones like these are the way to go.
- Noise-canceling technology (perfect for those long plane rides or even road trips). Works in both wire and wireless mode
- Loud, clear bass and volume
- Comes with a built-in microphone so you can make hands free phone calls
- Bluetooth capable
- Built for comfort with pads and swiveling earcups and an around the ear fit.
- Can play up to 30 hours on one charge in Bluetooth mode.
[3 Pack] 10ft iPhone Charger Cable
I’m not sure you can have too many charger cords.
One reason why I like to have so many is so that I can go ahead and put one in my suitcases when I’m packing the night before and still have another one that isn’t packed that I can use around the house.
I’m a little phobic and I tend to have one in my purse and my carry on (hey once a girl scout always a girl scout…meaning I’m always prepared or at least try to be).
Plus you never know how far away an outlet is going to be so that’s why I like my cords to be nice and long.
Benefits Of The Cords
- -10ft long cord (With 3 in one pack)
- 18 month warranty
- great customer service
- multiple intertwined copper wires for stable charging
- durable enough to work outside
- tangle-free design
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod.
INIU Portable Charger
What if there is no outlet where you can charge your phone?
No problem. Because you’ll have this portable charger in your carry on.
I love this one because it charges a phone to its capacity 3 times before it needs to be charged itself.
This means you can go to London, Bali, or Australia and still be able to use it.
Benefits Of Portable Charger
- High-speed charging
- 4A output each USB port
- Can fully charge your iphone 8 3 times before the charger needs to be charged (how many times can I write charge in one sentence?)
- LED flashlight
Having all of these fun gadgets that make your flights more enjoyable won’t mean much if you’re too sick to enjoy using them. That’s why you want to look into these motion sickness wristbands.
These truly work, I’ve used them on planes and cruises and they make a huge difference. I wore them on a cruise and I was fine but then I stupidly took them off and about 1 hour later I was nauseous. Trust me, they are the real deal.
Benefits of Travel Wristbands-
- All natural and safe
- No drugs involved
- Uses acupressure.
- They don’t make you drowsy
- No side effects
- Comfortable to wear for days ( I wore mine on a 7-day cruise)
Conclusion To Carry On Long Flight Essentials
Of course, there is so much more you need in a carry on but these 7 items will get you started.
I will be updating this post with other items so be sure to check back and see what else you need to take on your next trip 🙂
Oh and have a great time!